Saturday, April 11, 2009
Fifth and Final Facebook Etiquette Installment: Stop Trying So Hard
I know that I already spent some time schooling people on status updates, but apparently a follow up to the introductory course is necessary. I've already addressed the folks whose updates are entirely too mundane ("Joe is at work." "Jill is eating."), but now we have people who are trying to get far too deep . . . dare I say, existential. Examples: "Robert wonders what it all really means." "Candace is searching for an answer." Seriously - if you were really about getting at an essential truth, you'd be reading Nietzche, not posting photos of your sixth grade field trip to Canobie Lake Park.
Even worse than the enigmatic status updates are the ones that are desperate cries for help/attention/sympathy. "Keisha is ready to give up on dating altogether." "Kevin has been playing Sade on repeat all day, and now feels even worse." Obviously, there are times that we need to rely on our loved ones to offer some words of support. But should they come in the form of public comment? ("Keep your head up, Kevin. She isn't worth it.") Phone a friend if you're in crisis, please!
One last general piece of advice for all writers of online content. Stop writing "lol" at the end of your sentences. "Lol" is a response to someone else, not a tagline after your own joke. If it's funny, we'll laugh. We don't need a cue.
Sorry there's no picture with this post. But if you need a visual to accompany some of these bad online habits, you might only need to look in the mirror - lol. (See what I mean?)
Comments:
<< Home
Funny that you mention the mundane updates because I sometimes go throughout my day thinking about what I'm doing as if it were a status update. 'Ernesto is brushing his teeth,' 'Ernesto is changing a diaper,' 'Ernesto is washing the dishes,' and so on.
OMG Anita is ROTFL. WTF? BRB. IDK. I hate ALL of those. We aren't limited to characters on facebook-just say what's on your mind!!!
Can it also be added as irritating those commenters who try to make sense of the third person tag line, but wind up making no sense at all? Kristen wall posts that don't make sense are annoying. . .as an example. Thanks for keeping up the blog Rachel. It was so nice seeing you all last night!
Unfortunately, it may only get worse. At least that's what the experts are saying (http://hug.denity.com/2009/04/14/sometimes-you-have-to-shut-up.aspx).
And is OK to LOL that "Kevin has been playing Sade on repeat all day, and now feels even worse"? He should have known that Sade will do that to you.
And is OK to LOL that "Kevin has been playing Sade on repeat all day, and now feels even worse"? He should have known that Sade will do that to you.
I agree with your commentary, except I do put LOL at the end of my jokes sometimes. Indeed b/c I am actually laughing out loud to my own jokes.
But what I am really LOLing over right now is the need for anonymous random ppl to correct you on your own blog. 1st the grasshopper and now the spelling of Nietzsche! REALLY??? LMAO!!!!
But what I am really LOLing over right now is the need for anonymous random ppl to correct you on your own blog. 1st the grasshopper and now the spelling of Nietzsche! REALLY??? LMAO!!!!
Kudos to you Ms. Skerrrittt for taking the time to regulate folks. The fact that you even have to take the time to do it is why I leave Facebook for the Mrs. I can roll with a blog though, at least people have to half way think stuff out before they post it.
JC
JC
You seem to have outlined a very reasonable set of rules. However, one thing you failed to mention is the use if the smiley faces. :) I feel like they can go anywhere, end of the sentence, as a sentence/statement itself. I myself really like to remix mine :+y
Asha (I didn't feel like creating an identity)
Asha (I didn't feel like creating an identity)
reading your facebook etiquette entries was a lot of fun. timely, indeed. but i held my head in shame because i'm guilty of more than one. in particular, the adding LOL to the end of my own punchline. i don't know... i think if i don't, i'm afraid folks won't think i'm funny. it's my way of saying, "that's a good one, right? [snort snort]" tough habit to break but i'll work on it.
LMAOO!!!! Rachel you are hilarious! Yeah, im definitely good for adding the "lol" at the end of my sentences. But its usually because i really am chuckilng at my own humor. I do the same in person (laugh at my own jokes, often alone!)
Post a Comment
<< Home


