Thursday, March 26, 2009

 

Leaving Voicemail Messages: Just the Facts, Man

I've been MIA on the blog front, with good reason. I'll save the good reason for another day, but wanted to check in with a quick telephone pet peeve. While at work today, I missed a call on my cell phone from a friend to whom I haven't spoken in years. "Hey, Rachel. Call me when you get this." So immediately I'm rushing to return the call, thinking that there's some sort of catastrophe going on. No, not so much. He just wanted some writing advice. Could that not have been included in the message to avoid the panic that comes along with vague voicemails? If you're going to speak after the beep, make it count. Other phone annoyances you'd like to share? Leave a message after the post. :-)

Comments:
I can't stand when people leave a voicemail just to say hi. Send a text instead. Why should I have to waist my minutes checking voicemail because you wanted to simply say wassup. I'll see the missed call and call you back.
 
Phone Greeting Annoyance:
-You call me
-I pick up and say "hello?"
-You repeat "hello?"
Ummmmm, please state your claim!!!
 
Nita - What IS that all about? And why are males the most frequent offenders with that one?

Adding one more annoyance: when someone "puts you on hold" to talk to someone in the background, but he/she is still talking directly into the phone.
 
On the other end, though, is the caller whose message is so long that time runs out. I prefer that people err on the side of brevity. And DON'T just call and assume that I'll return your call because I see your number on the call history. If you don't leave a message, I'll assume that it wasn't important, and that I don't need to call you back. Of course, I most tend to do that to people I don't want to talk to.
 
I personally don't mind when a special someone calls to say hi (and nothing else) on my voicemail. I definitely prefer to hear his voice over a generic text message. Text messaging is NOT always good. It might be more efficient but it's way too easy... In a world, where everyone is moving to text messages, emails, facebook, etc...hearing someone's voice is a welcome change...especially when it's accompanied by you don't need to call me back. Simply put, it's way more personal than a text.

And if I haven't heard from you in years, a call just might be in order. Chances are I don't have your number in my phone so I won't respond to your text cause I have no idea who you are...and you are so unaware that you forgot to add your name to the text message!!
 
i hate when people call me back to respond to something that i asked them about in a text. ugh, very annoying. it's one thing if they needed further clarity, or if the texted response would have been too long-winded, but if i'm just asking u for an address, someone else's phone #, etc, please just reply back to my text, thanks! no need for the useless chitchat.
 
ok, my final gripe: when you spend time leaving a detailed message on someone's machine, and the person calls you back before checking voicemail, leaving you to say all the same information over again.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?