Tuesday, May 27, 2008

 

The Biggest Loser: Home Edition

I try to keep this blog positive, rocking the whole feel-good, female empowerment type thing. But every once in a while you have one of those moments where you feel like a big fat loser (not big and fat as in one's body type, but as in the actual gigantic size of one's loser-ness). Am I alone in this? You could be a winner in all areas of your life except one, and human nature has it that you're going to focus on that loser area. Maybe it's not a whole segment of your life that's loserfied, but there may just be one person who repeatedly makes you feel like a big fat loser.

So I ask you to post a comment, completing these two sentences:


I'm a big fat loser when it comes to _______________________.
My strategy for dealing with it is _________________________.

Once ten people share their hidden secrets, I'll let you guys know exactly what has me feeling like the biggest loser these days. In the meantime, I'll share who makes me feel like a winner. Folks, I have a Blenemy. That's right, a blog enemy. She reads my blog and posts her own blogs about how much she hates me - it's hilarious. This makes me feel good because I never thought I'd be important enough to be studied and poorly imitated. Thank you for the compliment! You know you've made it when people care enough to hate. Yay!

UPDATE: Thanks to the ten souls who shared their innermost insecurities, I am now updating with my biggest loser confession. My big fat loserness is around happy endings - they always seem to elude me in my real life, which is why I'm often reluctant to create them in my writing life. My strategy for dealing with it is turning the crazy, twisted endings into great book material, and that's the only hint I'm going to give about my next project. Okay, one more hint: I visited my past and did some social science research for the book this past weekend in DC. Don't worry, when I become rich and famous I'll remember all the friends who read my early works in a timely manner. ;-) This seems as good a time as any to include a link to When The Lights Go Down on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Lights-Down-Rachel-Skerritt/dp/0758216025/ref=sr_1_3/104-9940877-2704735?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190847860&sr=1-3

Comments:
Depending on where I am in my life and the things I'm trying to do I may be a big fat loser for a variety of differnt things but this month I'm a big fat loser when it comes to getting my job search started and the way I deal with it is by telling myself I have time...so basically procrastinating. Before you know it the summer will be over and I'll be in the same job I'm trying to leave... it's sucks being a procrastinator!
 
I'm a big fat loser when it comes to trying to work out at the gym. My stamina is extremely low, and I end up feeling so unhealthy and out of shape (panting and carrying on after jogging for only 5 minutes of the treadmill).

My strategy for dealing with it is accepting that I'll just never be a gym buff, and trying to incorporate a bit of walking and also eating (relatively) healthy into my life instead to compensate for how much i suck in the gym.
 
I am a big fat loser when it comes to saving money. Every month I invest in my retirement fund, but never have a cushion for emergencies. Money is tight but I could eat out less and watch my spending a little better. Avoidance is my strategy of choice. I basically don't think about it or take actions to change my situation.
 
I am a big fat loser when it comes to working out! I dream about it, swear I'm going to jump up and start jogging...but in real life, it's not so much fun. I'd rather be playing with my son scrapbooking, making jewelry, or crocheting. My strategy for dealing with it, is I have adapted a vegan lifestlye in hopes that the weight will magically fall off on its own. Wish me luck!!!
 
Loser ways: coming up with something new to invest in

How do I deal: I convince myself that 401k is enough for now!
 
I'm a big fat loser when it comes to letting things just play out. I have to plan every little detail! My strategy for dealing with it is planning people's reactions for me overplanning their lives.
 
I'm a big fat loser when it comes to taking care of myself. I am an amazing caretaker of others. I'm a wonderful wife and and an awesome mother (if I do say so myself;) Before having a family of my own, I took care of younger siblings and friends. However, remembering to take time out for myself seems to be a huge a problem for me. Every couple of weeks, I'll say I'm going to tend to some important personal issue that is for me and me only, like learning to drive (at the old age of 31) or getting a haircut or finishing a book that I've been trying to read for a month or committing to losing five pounds. My strategy for dealing with this is...well to stress eat of course! This works wonders for the whole weight loss goal as well as the self esteem. I guess I have to remember that everyone else is not going to fall to pieces if I take an hour or so a day to deal with just me.
 
I'm a big fat loser when it comes to working out, no doubt. I work out in the beginning when I'm looking to lose those vanity pounds and then I just fall off and stop going. The motivation is just not there...

My strategy for dealing with it is that this summer, I'm going to work out and then swim in the pool and get a tan as my reward. I love the water, so I will not go into the pool or lay out until I've WORKED OUT. I'll let you know how that goes....
 
i'm a big fat loser when it comes to saying "no" to committments i know i am not interested in committing to! admittedly, i have gotten better at it, but i hate the fact that i always feel the need to make all these excuses for why i am declining an invitation of any sort. how i'm coping? admittedly, i have gotten much better than i have been in past years--i simply say "not interested" and keep it moving....but when the person keeps coming back, i do tend to fold, and then my coping mechanism tends to be whining to my husband about the fact that i HATE being the biggest loser. ugh!
 
I'm a big fat loser when it comes to choosing the right guy. I always fall for the player, emotionally unavailable, taken, or someone that shows a huge interest and then falls off! WTH!?!?
I deal with this by dating, dating, and more dating! Hopefully that will eventually lead to someone that will not possess the aforementioned qualities. I'm glad that 30 is the new 20. That gives me more time (smile)
 
I am a big loser when it comes to taking time to really asses what it is I want in life...relationship-wise. I've given the time and time again same ole mantra.."I simply have no time" This could not be farther from the truth..

My plan of attack...make time...and maybe find a little distraction to help in the mean time..yes a little distraction will do just fine.
 
" i'm a big fat loser when it comes to intimacy". i'm absolutely petrified of it...i have anxiety attacks about it. " my strategy for dealing with it is baby steps and acceptance of others
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?